Friday, June 22, 2007

The Shack - Perceptions


Well, I finished reading The Shack a while ago... finally got around to writing up something else about it.

I think the biggest thing I got out of the book was about my (mis) percetions and other people's (mis) perceptions about God as we consider him in our understandings of Father Son and Spirit. I didn't really consider how I separate those and forget the unity of them when I paste my assumptions to those "titles".

One of the things I really enjoyed in the book was how the Three in One God was portrayed, and how the main character (Mack) reacted differently to the different persons of the One God -- based on his own (mis)perceptions... where Mack was considering Jesus more reachable and loving because of his Humanness, and Father more strict and judgmental/harsh because of His need for justice (what Mack thought... as apposed to the reality that Father Loves him as much as Jesus does, Jesus did not have to "talk Father into" accepting Mack. Father loves him as Jesus loves him.). And his perception of Holy Spirit as "weird" and "hard to understand". I liked how he eventually came to see that God loved him (all three) and though they are different, they share the same love for him in spite of the flaws, actions and pain in Macks life.

BEWARE!!!
ONE COMMENT THAT COULD BE CONSIDERED A *** PLOT SPOILER *** FOLLOWS:


I loved how the "messy garden" that the Spirit tended turned out to be Mack's own Heart! and how without knowing it the Spirit had Mack participate as God removed the bitter roots and replanted forgiveness and release in his heart about the killer and his daughter. that was a cool mental picture!

I have to go re-read the chapter where his eyes are "uncovered" and he sees his father and the angels. Some people have said that chapter was their favorite... but it just came off as strange and confusing to me personally. maybe I read it after eating too much pizza, or too late at night. I don't know.

*** END OF SPOILER TEXT ****

The book is excellent and I still believe it is on par with many of the stories and the way that C.S. Lewis wrote. I really think it brings fresh insight into what the Bible has been saying all along about God's charactor and our perceptions of Him. So much of our "understanding" of God is clouded by cultural and traditional things that may or may not be real. I think this book helps us break our steriotypes and reexamine God, rather than try to institute some new perception of the author. and the story is compelling too!

Go check it out at http://www.theshackbook.com

No comments: